Monday, October 8, 2007

An open apology to the MTA

As I saw this weekend, Chicago's subway stations are just spiffy. Clean and spacious, they do not smell like a bathroom. The conductors are courteous, the passengers, relatively attractive. Unfortunately, the actual trains don't frickin go anywhere. They're slow as molasses and only 2 lines run 24 hours. I can't be with a train like that. The experience made me appreciate how good I've got it with NYC public transportation. So I'm going to take this opportunity to put out a public apology to the system I so often malign.

My dear Metropolitan Transportation Authority,
I'm sorry for doubting you. I know you've heard that recently I've been talking trash about your trash. I've gone out to play the metro field and I want you to take me back. You're the best. I've been so focused on your shortcomings that I've been blind to the fantastic transit system you really are. You're old, but you're wise, efficient. Your poles are perfectly placed, your seats hug my every curve. With you, Subway, I can go anywhere. I'm sorry it took me so long to see that no relationship is perfect. In fact, I........I love you Subway. I'd forgotten all of the good times we've had together. You took me to my first day of school, my first job, and even though you had a million other places you had to be, you were there to pick me up at the end of the day. Sure, we've had our share of problems. Like back in 2006 when you went on strike and left me out in the cold for days. Your passive-agressiveness pushed me over the edge, and I admit that I started seeing cabs. Taxi after taxi, they're all the same. They were demanding. They made me give and give. And when I finally got out I felt cheated and used. But not you, Subway, you understand me and you understand my paycheck. And I guess sometimes we all shut down. So what if you are unsanitary, so what if you smell? A small price to pay. Graffiti? It's art. Rats, shmatz. Unsavory characters? Who am I to judge. You've been there for me, 24/7. You keep me going.
Please take me back,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment