Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The fine

I took this book out of the library. Didn't particularly care for it. Put it in my bag to bring it to work to return it to the library, which is near work. Planned to go to the library during lunch. The problem is I don't take lunch. I often think I'm going to, but by midday the 10-minute walk seems like too much of a hassle. Anyway, at the end of the day I take the book home to return to the library near my apartment. But similarly, when I arrive home, walking to the library would be a chore. But that's okay because I can just take the book with me to work the next day and return it at the library near my office. Long story short, I end up toting this boring, hardcover book up and down Manhattan for most of early fall.
But this afternoon, as my eyes became blurry from excessive Microsoft Word, I took the break. I stopped at the ATM in anticipation of whatever fine I would be subjected to and then, at long last, motored down to the library carrying the dumb book for the last time.
Me to Librarian #1: "I have to return this book and I think it's really, really late. I'm really sorry."
Librarian #1 to me: "You're a bad girl."
ooooooookayyyyyy....... time to find another Librarian....
Me to Librarian #2: "So, how much is the fine?"
Librarian #2: "$23.50" (Gulp, that's like 3 days pay....) But, I fork over the cash and an interesting thought occurs to me.
Me: "Hey, where does all the library fine money go to, anyway?"
#2: "To buy more library stuff and programs and stuff. Mostly children stuff." Me: "Wait, so my $23.50 is going to help fund library programs for children?" #2: "I guess.....sooooort of."
Me: "Ha! I should really return all my books late!" (charitable tax deduction, anyone?)
#2: "That's not really such a good idea. Goodbye. Have a nice day."

Holy cow, I just took off time from my job of helping the children of New York to help the children of New York.
I am just that freakin good....

No comments:

Post a Comment