Sunday, September 12, 2010

Me and a phone

4:00 AM
Friday morning
Thursday night
Far from sleep.....

So, I go out for a walk and some fresh air.
With a fuzzy mind it didn't occur to me that a woman should need to think twice before walking alone through New York City in the dead of night.
Several blocks down Amsterdam, I saw only men. I passed a dozen or so; sober and drunk; single and in groups. Not a woman in sight. A couple of crude remarks, a bit of leering and I did think twice. Would something happen? Not likely, but I knew it could.
So, I took out my phone; pressed 911 and walked with my thumb hovering over the trigger of the Call button-ready to shoot at a moment's notice.

I was embarrased to feel even a bit of fear. Why? Why should I need to think twice?

Why are the dark streets ruled?

By men?

No comments:

Post a Comment