Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Crock the Vote?

So, I just excercised my Constitutional right to vote at the local public school. I voted for President as my real self, based on my own political beliefs (or disbeliefs) and semi-informed opinions. But I was a bit shocked to find that I needn't have been myself to cast the vote as myself. At no point did the astute voting attendents ask for identification. When I go to Macy's and buy something with my Macy's card they ask for my identification. When I go into a bar, the bouncers almost always ask for my ID (thanks guys!). When I try to get into the building I've worked in for the past 2 years, and where all the security guards already know me, I still have to show my ID. Yet when I cast my vote in what is being called the most important presidential election in US history, no questions asked. If I were a bit less ethical, this phenomenon could have all sorts of fun ramifications. Let's say that, theoretically I wanted to go completely against society's expectations of me as a young, Jewish, pro-choice, anti-death penalty (for reasons far from what you might expect), unionized (I'm in the Teamsters, baby), female, New Yorker, and voted Republican. Theoretically. What's to stop me from going back to the polls as a particularly liberal friend of mine and casting a red vote? Vote early and often, Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment