Monday, March 30, 2009

Authenticity

I was on vacation, sipping espresso at independent coffee houses, shopping for one of a kind pieces of jewelry by local artists, browsing quirky little bookshops, looking for inspiration to get my writing started. And I happened upon it- a small black leather bound notebook on the bottom shelf. I looked at the insert giving the history of this book "Moleskin is the legendary notebook used by European artists and thinkers for the past two centuries....." Ah, that was what I needed to put it all together. I purchased the book and curled up in yet another adorable coffee shop to write.

I picked up the insert again to read the history and get my head in the creative, authentic game. "Moleskin is the legendary notebook used by European artists and thinkers for the past two centuries, from Van Gogh to Picasso, from Ernest Hemingway to Bruce Chatwin---"
Wait, stop, rewind. Europeans like Van Gogh- Dutch, Picasso-Spanish, Chatwin-English and Hemingway???
My little leather book that I found in my search for authenticity just listed possibly the greatest American writer (from the suburbs of Chicago...) as a European artist/writer.

And alas, I'm back to my Toshiba laptop at Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment