Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I do not like dem apples...

So, I like fresh apples. I went apple picking once, I think I was in the 6th grade. It was raining, but that seemed to make it more fun. And then it got windy and it was basically raining apples. Funner. Good times... I get an email a couple of weeks ago that the Jewish Outdoors Club (hereinafter "JOC") is going apple picking. I've done a few JOC things before. It's cute. Like a yuppie Fresh Air Fund. So I RSVP'd. But, tonight I checked my email..... "Hi, If you are getting this email, then I received your registration after the email indicated the trip limitations and I regrettably am unable to accomodate you. This is a bit of an unusual thing for us to have to do, but the trip would likely have been unsuccessful with 10 men and 50 women, and I thank you for your understanding." Is there some kind of gender, apple-picking equation? What makes an apple picking trip successful? Does it have anything to do with apples? In a second email I learned that registration had been "closed to women" because there was a "huge imbalance" they needed to "rectify." I get that one of the goals of the group is to be a social mixer kind of thing, but this is apple-picking. You don't go to apple orchards to pick up men. You just don't. I dare you to name a single orchard couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment